The Safety Specialist is responsible for the implementation of mine site safety processes and implements corporate safety initiatives and training. The Safety Specialist ensures that mine operations are in overall compliance with Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) statutes and corporate standards by educating mine employees on health and safety issues and reviewing mine processes. In addition, the Safety Specialist is responsible for ensuring that Safety Department actions are based on sound business, safety, and environmental goals.
This position does not have formal supervisory responsibilities over other employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Promote and support the overall health, safety and work environment by implementing and assisting in the enforcement of the requirements of Coal Health and Safety Programs.
- Contributes to the overall health, safety, and work environment of the Safety Department.
- Implements and educates mine employees on the current requirements of any corporate safety programs.
- Ensures health and safety work is carried out in compliance with health and safety regulations and licenses.
- Directs and conducts health and safety event reporting and investigation as needed.
- Manage training materials for use in the surface and underground operations.
- Demonstrate and support the Westmoreland Coal Company Code of Conduct, promote and support overall health, safety and work environment.
- Perform related work as required.
Polished interpersonal skills. Strong personnel management skills. Knowledge of organizational policies and procedures. Knowledge of fiscal management and office management techniques. Knowledge of computer systems and applications. Ability to apply policies and procedures to solve everyday issues. Ability to exercise initiative, problem solving and decision making skills. Ability to establish priorities and coordinate work activities. Ability to work in conjunction with Company managers and employees. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to work in a fast paced environment and handle multiple projects simultaneously to meet critical deadlines. Ability to quickly develop strong internal working relationships.
Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Ability to analyze processes and functional requirements to identify inefficiencies and propose solutions. Ability to follow both verbal and/or written policies, procedures, and instructions. Ability to prepare and present accurate and reliable reports containing findings and recommendations. Ability to use logical and creative thought processes to develop solutions according to written specifications and/or verbal instructions. Ability to perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines.
Typical Physical Demands
Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires constant data input for extended periods of time without leaving the work area. Occasionally lifting files or paper weighing up to 30 pounds. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator, and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate reports. Requires mobility sufficient to travel.
Typical Working Conditions
Normal office environment. Occasional evening or weekend work.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Minimum 4 years of operational experience in underground coal mining or related work experience.
Licenses, Registration, and Certifications
- Examiners paper required.
- Mine Foreman certification obtained within 12 months of hire.
- Problem solving.